A TV Comedy Pitch Initiative for Comedy Performers
Presented by Just for Laughs and the New York Television Festival
Pitch Winners Announced:
Congratulations to the creative teams of Angry Black Women and Doug and Devi, who won the sixth annual From Set to Screen initiative:
Angry Black Women by Dahéli Hall and HaJ
Boldly spoofing its derogatory title, Angry Black Women is a humorous, hyper-realistic tale of two black females: an actress and a writer striving against all odds in Hollywood.
Doug and Devi by Courtney Karwal and Natalie Rose Young
Created by comedian-writer Courtney Karwal and animator Natalie Young, Doug and Devi centers around an unlikely partnership between two monstrous lovers: Devi, a Yeti, and Doug, a Sasquatch.
- Angry Black Women by Dahéli Hall and HaJ
- Doug and Devi by Courtney Karwal and Natalie Rose Young
- Gamers by Melanie Backer and Cary Bickley
- Mrs. Football by Kyle Radke and Matt Kelly
- The Removalists by Jacques Barrett
The NYTVF and Just for Laughs invites you – the comics, writers, creators and producers on the cutting edge of comedy – to present your show ideas to a panel of industry experts in an open-pitch forum at the Just for Laughs ComedyPRO Conference.
Projects should be based on or inspired by stories, sketches or characters developed by writers, producers, showrunners, stand-up comics, improv groups, sketch comedy teams, and comedy writers working with performance-based formats. We’re looking for fresh ideas that make us laugh.
Just for Laughs and the NYTVF are looking for hilarious new TV comedy ideas (and the masterminds behind them) to compete in the sixth-annual, joint initiative slated for the Just for Laughs ComedyPRO Conference in Montreal, July 26-29. Five finalists will be selected to pitch live during the event before a panel of comedy experts with one winner selected for exclusive participation at the 2017 New York Television Festival in October.
What are we looking for?
Some of the world’s most beloved shows have stemmed from comedy performers with a strong story and point of view, from classic television like Roseanne and Seinfeld to new programming like Seeso’s Take My Wife, Comedy Central’s Inside Amy Schumer, FX’s Atlanta, and Amazon’s Transparent. The history of comedy has been built and sustained by comedy performers, and we’re looking for the next big thing – a show that can uniquely translate a comedic voice to the small screen, either in scripted or unscripted programming.
How do you submit?
Submission packets can be uploaded and should include the following:
- Series bible that provides an overview of your show concept as well as an outline of the pilot episode, series progression and professional bios of the creative and production team.
- Complete pilot script OR pilot episode. NOTE: Where completed pilot video is included in the pitch, it cannot have been produced prior to 2016.
- Episode Budget Top-Sheet
- ADDITIONAL video illustrating and/or supporting your series treatment. Examples of video submissions can include, but are not limited to: excerpt of stand-up act, taped sketch that highlights character(s), produced scenes. Submitted video should not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length.
- Non-refundable fee of $50 USD
- Full rules and submission requirements can be found at: http://comedypro.hahaha.com/submissions/from-set-to-screen//
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE JUST FOR LAUGHS SITE.
NYTVF WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY SUBMISSIONS.
ALL ENTRIES ARE DUE BY
MAY 15, 2017 - DEADLINE EXTENDED
Are teams or groups allowed to submit?
Absolutely! Performers that work and/or produce in partnership with writers/directors/producers are welcome to submit a collaborative piece. If you're a performer without a producing partner, this is still an opportunity for you, as long as you have a great idea and can complete the submission requirements outlined above.
What does it mean if I'm selected as a finalist?
Five (5) projects will be selected as finalists and invited to present their pitches during a live event at the Just for Laughs Comedy Conference in Montreal, July 26 - 29. Each finalist will receive a pass to attend the conference, courtesy of Just for Laughs. One winner will be selected during the event and invited to participate as an Official Artist in the New York Television Festival, October 23 – 28. All finalists and the winner will retain the rights to their projects throughout the process.
What does “Official Artist” designation at the 2017 NYTVF provide?
The winning pitch and its creator(s) will be invited to the 2017 New York Television Festival to participate as an Official Artist and will enjoy exclusive benefits of NYTVF Connect that are only extended to selected artists. Throughout the week of the Festival there are meetings and events available ONLY to Official Artists
To learn more, visit the NYTVF Connect Page.